Touristic itinerary

Often, when we say: “Shall we take the highway?”, it’s just because we want to arrive sooner. We jump from one exit to another paying no attention to what there might be in between. Isn’t the highway the fastest way to reach our destination, avoiding all possible obstacles – rivers, mountains, bottlenecks – which we may find on our way?
We would like to encourage you to discover the many beauties the territory along the Turin-Savona itinerary has to offer you: unexpected art treasures, castles, towers and abbeys, majestic palaces and perched towns, squares, marketplaces, village feasts and refined exhibitions.

The pleasure of discovering a wide variety of the many culinary tastes, ranging from the warm and autumnal saviors of Piedmont – the Fat Ox and the wild game, chestnuts, mushrooms, truffles, mountain cheese and fresh butter – to the light and Mediterranean tastes which are representative of Liguria – fish soups, focaccia and sardenaria, trofie with pesto sauce- a vast wine selection (the great wines of the Langhe and Roero regions, as well as the fresh and typical wines of Liguria’s inlands) and the olive oil. The tour we want to offer you must be tasted in tranquility and with curiosity, without the rush to jump from place to place. We hope that, when driving on the highway, you’ll yet the most from this virtual trip and that it has helped you to drive in a new way and possibly encouraged you to come back making more stops. Driving on the highway is a vacation indeed. Welcome on the “Autostrada dei Fiori”.

To access the information of the individual locations, you can click on the labels on the map.

Cartina Completa



Art and interesting facts:
The artistic heritage of Carignano can be admired especially in its churches.
We suggest a visit to the Church of Saint John the Baptist built in the sixteenth century by the architect Benedetto Alfieri and characterized by the beautiful brick facade; inside, the four statues of the main altar made in golden wood and representing St. John, St.Remigio, St. Alphonsus and St. Defendente, all come from the previous parish church.

The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (or dedicated to St. Agostino) has a characteristic facade in where several statues made in terracotta representing holy figures can be seen; inside, the apses and in the lateral chapels preserve seventeenth century paintings of the Caravaggio School; one of them, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, shows the ancient Carignano of that time.

Very important are also the Battuti Neri Church (or dedicated to Our Lady of Suffrage; the aim of this fold was to assist the ill, criminals and death sentenced prisoners) and the Battuti Bianchi Church (or dedicated to the Holy Spirit; this fold assisted the poor).

At approximately 4 km from the town center, the Vallinotto Chapel designed by architect Vittone, is definitely worth a visit thanks to its complex architectonic structure which can be admired especially from the inside: the structure has three overlapping and pierced vaults which contribute in creating suggestive light effects.

Feasts, exhibitions and events:
– Well known is the Carnevale of Carignano, with the Castellan, the Great Seneschal and the cheerful masked parade; the most evocative moment is the horse tournament in which five horsemen joust for the love of the Queen of the feast (it’s a historical reenactment of legendary episode in which a beautiful and brave lady sets free the men of Carignano who were imprisoned in the tower by the soldiers of Captain Facino Cane);
– Ciapinabò Feast.

Suggested highway exit:



Art and interesting facts:
The medieval buildings can be found in the upper part of the city, near Castiglia, among which we recommend a visit to the Marchesi Casa Bassa (Low House), the Palace of Arts and the anchient City Palace, near the Town’s Tower, dated mid fifteen century and which is characterized by an octagonal white lodge with a dark pinnacled dome.
To the same period also belongs the most famous historical building of Saluzzo, Casa Cavassa, which currently houses the Museum and formerly it was the residence of the city’s Governor. Passing thorough the beautiful entrance, designed by Sanmicheli, you access the internal areas characterized by wide lodges, cross-vault windows and wooden balconies. Extremely peculiar, among all others, the Reception Hall still shows the original panalled ceiling, aristocratic emblems and furnisher; you can admire “Our Lady of Mercy” painting by Hans Clemer, a Flemish artist extremely active during the fifteenth century in this area. Many of the internal rooms are still covered with frescoes.
We recommend visiting the suggestive Gothic Church of Saint John. The fifteenth century expansion which is nowadays visible, was originally build on the thirteenth century remains of a building belonging to the monks of the Staffarda Abbey. The internal most interesting part is given by the apsis where the mortuary chapel of the Marquesses can be found; designed by Ludovico first, it now houses the tombs of the Marquess Ludovico Second, dated 1508, committed on behalf of his wife Margaret of Foix. Also worth seeing is definitely the colonnade next to the church, which has a squared plan and beautiful carved capitals and aristocratic emblems. In Chapter Hall we find the mortuary monument dedicated to Galeazzo Cavassa, died in 1483.
In the lower part of the city, the Cathedral is characterized by a severe and balanced facade in which the red bricks are absolutely peculiar. The main entrance, with a high gable, shows the statues of Saints Peter and Paul by the Lombard Art School of the sixteenth century. Precious frescoes by Hans Clemer can be admired in the lunettes of the main entrance and of the two side entrances. The decoration of the interior walls, a Gothic effect recreated during the nineteenth century, might seem oppressive and we must head towards the the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament to find a true masterpiece: the great altarpiece by Hans Clemer (unfortunately with the middle part missing) in which St. Chiaffredo, patron of the city, and San Costanzo are represented in presenting the Marquis Ludovico II and his wife Margaret of Foix to the Virgin itself.
Other religious buildings worth of visiting are the Consolata Shrine, with the old Romanesque bell tower still intact and the Convent of San Bernardino, on the Castile hill, dated sixteenth century and rebuilt during the eighteenth century.
We would like to further draw attention to the statues dedicated to the two most important citizens of Saluzzo: Giovan Battista Bodoni (1740-1813), true innovator of typography and Silvio Pellico (1789-1854) patriot and author of “My ten years’ imprisonment”, autobiography of the author’s imprisonment during the Austrian domination period in the Lombard and Venetian territory.

Feasts, exhibitions and events:
– Feast dedicated to San Chiaffredo , the patron saint;
– National Exhibition of Crafts and Antiques;
– Carnival of Saluzzo;
– “The Mercantico”, market-exhibition of minor antiques with over 300 exhibitors; you can find many different objects, starting from the small country style object up to porcelain toys;
– Exposition of Fine Arts and “Matteo Olivero” Award.

Suggested highway exit:


Piazza Santarosa2

Art and interesting facts:
The historical center still has several buildings which testify the presence during the medieval period of a rich middle class of merchants. The foremost example is given by Santorre di Santarosa Square, with its fourteenth century City Tower (le bellfry has been added during the seventeenth century), the collonade, the Pasero Palace. The surrounding countryside as well has still several feudal buildings, many small and peculiar villas-similar to castles which were probably also used as defensive buildings. Suniglia Castle, Solere Castle, Rigrasso Castle.
Significant traces of the earliest Roman period such as inscriptions and memorial stones are preserved in the Museum; the richly carved tombstone dedicated to the aedile Gavio and visible at the Abbey of St. Peter is dated from the second century A.D and is the oldest among the monastic foundations given that it has been constructed in 1028.
Among the aristocratic palaces we find Villa Maresco, which its beautiful architecture is the work of Ercole Negro of Sanfront, who worked for the Dukes of Savoy during the end of the sixteenth century. Another work of the same engineer is the south facade of the Muratori-Cravetta Palace, with colonnade spans supported by half-columns among which in niches we find the representation of the chests of the male and female representatives of the Savoy Family; extraordinary beautiful is the little “Italian Garden”, the stucco decorations and the panalled ceiling made by 180 pieces. An exapmle of seventeenth century art is Taffini d’Acceglio Palace, nowadays estate of the Cassa di Risparmio di Savigliano: don’t miss the staircase and the unique internal court characterized by three distinct overlapping lodges and, inside, the Hall dedicated to Vittorio Amedeo First ornate with frescoes by G.A. Molineri (1577-1645) and peculiar prospective views and fake tapestry which narrate the military feats of the Duke.
A special mention must be given to the statue of Santorre di Santarosa, which can be admired in the square dedicated to him and built in 1869 by G. Lucchetti Rossi in honor of the generous and unfortunate patriot born in Savigliano as well as generator of the uprisings of 1820-21.
Among the religious buildings, the Pieve Parish Church is a building which has been reconstructed from a preexisting fourteenth century church and of which some medieval frescoes have been saved.
The Church of Saint Andrew, ancient location of the Augustinian monks, has also been reconstructed during the eighteenth century; the internal Chapel dedicated to Saint Nicolò still has some of the frescoes from the eighteenth century.
The romanic structure of the ancient Saint Peter’s Abbey has been almost entirely concealed by later works; the church’s facade is dated nineteenth-century, the protiro of the entrance is of the Renessance period; inside we find paintings ranging from the sixteenth century (the Altarpiece of the Virgin by Gandolfino d’Asti) to the eighteenth century.
Many other churches of the Baroque era (Assumption Church, The Lamentation Church and the Church of Mercy) have been build by the different religious and voluntary confraternities and also display many interesting religious wooden statues, which were used during religious processions and Holy Week Celebrations.

Feasts, exhibitions and events:
– Feast of agricultural mechanization;
– Exhibitions and art exhibitions at the Museum;
– Guided tours on Saturdays and Sundays (tour duration: about two hours);
– “Quintessence and Taste Tours”, an exhibition regarding herbs, spices and medicinal plants and city itineraries (May);
– International Festival of bread (every two years- on odd years);
– “Madama Piemonteisa” Event (every two years- on odd years).

Suggested highway exit:



Art and interesting facts:
The city center has it’s core in the main square dedicated to the fifteenth century Church of St. saint Augustine; today, only the Bell Tower still has its original Gothic structure, characterized by a squared base and an octagonal dome; the church’s facade, which was rebuild in 1835 and follows classic conventions, shows however a beautiful Renaissance Portal by Amedeo da Settignano (also known as  Meo del Caprino). Inside we can find many Gothic frescoes representing holy figures and a big altarpiece showing the Assumption of the Holy Mary dating from the late Renaissance by Monclavo.
In the near building which now hosts the Baldessano School (formerly an Augustinian Monastery), we can still find the Tombstone of Jacopo Turnabula, a bas-relief by Meo del Caprino which commemorates the Scottish warlord serving Carl the Fifth and who died at Carmagnola in 1496, here shown wearing his iron armature and with his weapons (a today tradition, is that students touch the warlord’s foot as a good luck gesture).
On the outside, the square is characterized by fifteen-sixteenth century colonnades, with original paneled ceilings; very impressive is the “Meridians’ House” with the facade completely covered with frescoes representing mythological figures and dating 1557, probably property of the Cavassa family. A fifteenth century “Cavassa House” can be found nearby and shows 1567 frescoes which unfortunately are not well conserved but however still visible.
Not to far we find the Collegiata, also known as the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, build starting from 1492 and following Gothic conventions, which are still clearly visible inside the church despite the reconstruction of the facade during the nineteenth century; definitely noteworthy is the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, covered in polychrome marbles and which still conserves the wooden statue of the Holy Virgin adorned by a blue velvet mantel embroidered with gold and silver, gift of the Queen Maria Cristina: the statue is carried in procession in the city’s streets during the celebrations on the 8th of December.
Of the ancient fortifications nothing remains, if not for the medieval castle which now hosts the City Hall after having previously been a Monastery of the Parei Filippini, who also constructed the near Baroque Church of Saint Philip build in 1710 by architect Francesco Gallo.
Among the various ancient buildings, we must remind the peculiar Synagogue, with rich furniture and collocated at the first floor of a eighteen century house at the entrance of the ghetto: this building testifies an ancient important Jewish settlement.
Extremely interesting in Carmagnola is the Eco-museum of the hemp, in Saint Bernardo, via Crissolo 20. The “Historical “Cordai” Team” wants to maintain the memory of one of Carmagnola’s most important traditions: the production of hemp ropes, which has been cultivated, macerated, reduced in fiber and woven for centuries though the “path of hemp.” Until the past century, the ropes were used in hawsers, canvas and sails and formerly even for the arquebus of the Savoy army. The “Historical Team” organizes several practical demonstration regarding the hemp manufacturing and production activity, with workers dressed in historical costumes and in a detailed scenario which has been specifically and carefully recreated.

Feasts, exhibitions and events:
– Exhibition of cattle and horses;
– Pepper Feast during the “Settembre carmagnoleseFestival”, with the special “King Pepper” and “Milady Provonera”; historical costume parade, flag bearers, tasting and exhibition market;
– Feast of the Immaculate Conception, with the procession of the Holy Virgin and of gifts exchange.

Suggested highway exit:



Art and interesting facts:
The Royal Castle of Racconigi is the main feature for visitors interested in a historical and artistic tour.
The Royal Castle has been purchased by the Italian government in 1980 and offers tourists the chance to admire a priceless artistic heritage. The Hall of Ercules, the Hall of Dianathe Chinese Room, the Dignitary Hall -just to mention some- are outstanding art pieces thanks to their design and exquisite elegance in architecture and still conserve beautiful decorations, statues, furnitures of the seventeen-eighteen century, together with floors, fireplaces and wall mirrors. The painting collection counts over 3000 pieces which represent the various figures of the Savoy family and of the many Rulers of the main European families of the XV and XX Century and therefore allow us to follow through time, changes in manners, clothing, fashion jewelery etc.; a walk in the park which spreads over two hundred hectares, offers beautiful and suggestive views.

Outside the castle, a walk along Racconigi’s low medieval arcades is definitely worth a visit. This city once was a very important center for the silk industry which reach its maximum extent during the sixteenth-seventeenth century and was definitely a source of wealth for its citizens. Interesting from an artistic point of view are also the Town Hall, formerly a monastery hosting sixteenth century frescoes and decorations in “cotto”; the churches of Saint John Beheaded, of Saint Mary Major and the Dominican Monastery; Vittorio Emanuele II° Square, the “Piazza degli Uomini” square, the market’s main location surrounded by the most beautiful city buildings, testimony the extremely high level reached by the middle class during the period in which silk production was at its maximum. Today Racconigi is an important agricultural, metalworking industry and production center of plastic laminates. An interesting fact about Racconigi is that it boasts being the homeland of the famous Piedmont character “Gianduia” since “Oia” is the name of a suburb: the name Gianduia derives from “Gian d’ Oia” (Gian from Oia).

Racconigi is also famous for the “Centro Cicogne e Anatidi” Assotiation, which works in the environmental habitat protection sector.  ( ).

Feasts, exhibitions and events:
– Carnival and allegorical parade: during the Lent period, between Februrary and beginning of March;

Suggested highway exit:

The Langhe and Roero


Art and interesting facts:
The Langhe e the Roero territory is characterized by its lively and extremely colorful hills thanks to the local vegetation and plants. On the hilltops we find a multitude of towns and ancient villages, frequently overawed by castles and bell towers.
Both the landscape beauties and the art of cooking are the main attractions of this vast territory in near Cuneo. Extremely famous for their wine production, the hills of the Langhe are well known for the Moscato Wine: indeed, it’s from these steep hills and terraces that the grapes of the Asti Docg (sparkling version) and Moscato d’Asti Wines (also known as “tappo raso”) come from. At Cortemilia, the Terraces Ecomuseum is a new structure which aims to  protect and promote the architectural and cultural heritage of the crops with dry stone walls.

The langhe of Barolo and of Barbaresco has a soft landscape and there is a suggestive alternation of hills dotted with fortresses and towers. Each town is an unique masterpiece and extremely peculiar is Cherasco, “city of history and art”, an untouched “villanova” dated 1243, with its stunning streets which greeted Kings, Popes, Emperors and the Holy Shroud as well.
The main grapevine is given by the Nebbiolo, from which the Barolo, Barbaresco and Nebbiolo d’Asti wines are produced. Even if incredibly different for aromatic complexity, structure and resources, these wines all come from the same grapevine.
The cold cuts, the “Ravioli del Plin” and second courses with game, are all excellent culinary specialties. Most important of all, are the Barolo or Barbaresco braised meats prepared with Piedmont meat and the fondue, traditional food and nearly a common ritual which should be celebrated together with an Alba white truffle.
Another typical cooking speciality are esgargots (Cherasco is considered the National Main Center for this recipe).

The Roero is a hilly land at the west of Tanaro, just below the uplands of Turin and Fossano. It is characterizied by a long series of steep hills, lower than the ones of the Langhe region, and counts several fortresses on the entire territory.  The Roero area has 23 districts which are all, except for one, in the territory of Cuneo.
Bra is the main town and has ancient origins. Pollenzio (suburb of Bra) was established in the second century B.C. during the roman empire and soon became an important commercial and military center due to its strategical position between the ports of the Ligurian sea and the Piedmont’s plain.

As the rest of the Piedemont territory, the Roero area is well known for its wine production: the red wine Roero, produced by the Nebbiolo grapevine and the white wine Roero Arneis. Minor wines, but nonetheless very important, are also the Langhe Favorita, Birbet, Barbera d’Alba and Nebbiolo d’Alba.
Orchards are also quite diffuse in this territory: the “canalina” peach, the “madernassa” pear of Vezza and the strawberries of Baldissero and Sommariva Perno are all cultivars. The excellent sausage of Bra and the tenches of Ceresole complete a wide culinary selection of the territory of Roero.



Art and interesting facts:
The main monument is definitely the Savoy-Acaia Castle built between 1324 and 1332 and having the shape of a crenelated quadrilateral.
It has four massive corner towers and today it can be seen as arranged for the residence of the ducal court conferred by Charles I of Savoy in 1484, even if substantial internal events dating back to the stay of Emanuele Filiberto in 1560 are however visible.
Towards the 1850, when the structure became a prison,  the semicircular towers were built near the two ancient east towers and the drawbridge’s tower at the center of the east facade was demolished.
Fossano is a baroque city thanks to a larg variaty of noble buildings of the seventeenth and eighteenth century; as an example we mention Burgos di Pomaretto Palace, Tettù di Camburzano Palace, Alliaga di Ricaldone Palace, Bava San Paolo Palace, all of them can be found in Via Bava San Pietro, also known as “the Nobles’ district”, while along with the seventeenth cenutry noble buildings a clear example is given by the Knites of Malta Palace (in Via Roma).
In Via Roma we also find the eighteenth century Palazzo del Comandante  which now hosts the Cassa di Rispoarmio of Fossano.
The religious architecture is too baroque due to the eighteenth century influences of architect Francesco Gallo – who build in 1728 the Church dedicated to the Holy Trinity which near the Hospital, that represents a true and unique masterpiece of baroque art, with vibrant forms and structures- and to arcitect Mario Ludovico Quarini who developed the project of the  Saint Mary Cathedral  and Saint Giovenale, a Gothic building of which only a tower remains, the new classic facade is of the end of the eighteenth century and is characterized by the the two Corinthian columns which sustain the beams, together with the triangular tympanum gable.
Inside we can admire the the urn of San Giovenale, the Reliquary Case, which was made by a local goldsmith in the seventeenth century, the beautiful carved pulpit and a quantity of exquisite eighteenth-nineteenth century paintings showing various religious subjects.

Feasts, exhibitions and events:
– Goose and Joust Palio and Palio of the ancient towns (third Sunday in June);
– Festival of San Giovenale;
– Festival Mirabilia. Urban theater international festival.

Suggested highway exit:



Art and interesting facts:
The most important building is the  Medieval Castle which is the result of various structural remakes and enlargements; the battlements, the remains of the Gothic windows and the embrasures are still visible today. The Costa family changed the original defensive function, making the castle their residence palace. The interiors include large halls, partially decorated with floral frescoes dated between the eighteenth and nineteenth century, furniture and a vast painting collection dated from the same period too; the “bedroom” is definitely worth a visit, with its characteristic wooden and stucco arch bounded together to form a unique Baroque style.
The Parish Church dedicated to Mary’s Assumption was designed by architect Francesco Gallo in the eighteenth century. The oldest church is definitely Saint Peter’s Church, a Romanesque building dating from the first half of the eleventh century but extensively remodeled in later times. In the Oratory of Our Lady of Loreto, near the cimitary, we find several interesting fifteenth and sixteenth century frescoes.


Feasts, exhibitions and events:
The traditional  “Fair of the Fat Ox ” is held on the second or third Thursday of December and is surely an event which shouldn’t be missed, not only for the important cattle show, but for the delicious traditional food which is served as well;
– The “grapevine feast” in September has the aim to promote the local Dolcetto wine production.

Suggested highway exit:



Art and interesting facts:
Among the most interesting features we find:
– Piazza Maggiore, picturesque and medieval square surrounded by Gothic arcades, with the fourteenth-century crenelated Bressani family’s House, family which ruled the independent city of Monte Regale;
– the Cittadella, sixteenth century fortress commissioned by Duke Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy, which incorporates similar structures which can be found in the Renaissance cathedral;
– the seventeenth century Church of Saint Francis Saverio, known as “la Missione”, inside which we can admire the astonishing voults’ perspective illusions and the nearby Jesuit College which today hosts the Courthouse;
– the Cathedral of Saint Donato, extraordinary example of baroque local art by architect Francesco Gallo, with its sumptuous interiors;
– the Synagogue in Via Vico, with an anonymous entrance which may be confused as a normal house and in which we find the Torah ark and an octagonal pulpit;
– the clearing Belvedere, which offers a wonderful view, was build during the Napoleonic period and still presents the massive fourteenth century Town Tower, one of the most important city symbols;
– the Pottery Museum which counts over six hundred pieces;
– at Carassone: the church of Saints John and Evasio, sixteenth century remake of a pre-existing chapel of which only the Romanesque bell tower is preserved;
– at Breo: piazza S. Pietro, with the pretty Dolphin Fountain and the Church of Saints Peter and Paul; on the facade of the church, we find the representation of the Moor striking the hours and protected by a wrought iron canopy, this is also another important symbol of the city.


Feasts, exhibitions and events:
– Carnival: parade of floats with the “Moor” and the “Beauty of Monte Regale” (the last Sunday of Carnival before Lent);
– “Spring Fair” in April;
– Crafts and antiques exhibit, during August in Mondovi Piazza: ceramics and antique furniture, metal, copper, leather and stone craftsmanship exhibit;
– Truffle Fair, starting from the end of October until the beginning of November: truffle show market in Monte Regale.
– International Air balloon Epiphany Meeting ( ).

Suggested highway exit:



Art and interesting facts:

In the middle of the Sanctuary’s Square, we find a majestic Bronze Statue of  Duke Carlo Emanuele the First of Savoy commemorating the main customer of the work itself; at the beginning of the seventeenth century in fact, the Duke committed the project to architect Ascanio Vitozzi, with the aim of creating a sort of Pantheon for the prestigious members of the Savoy family, including five side chapels, which would later become a pilgrimage destination also thanks to the support given by the Cistercian monastery and by the accommodations which have afterward specifically build.

The church construction started in the first decades of the seventeenth century but was for long suspended and restarted in 1729 by architect Francesco Gallo from Monte Regal and nowadays considered his absolute masterpiece.

Surrounded by four bell towers, the temple has a majestic external appearance: it has an oval form, red bricks and a large dome enclosed at it’s top by an elegant “lantern”. The interiors are characterized by astonishing eighteenth century decorations: all frescoes (covering a surface of more than six thousand square meters) refer only to the Marian theme of Salvation.

A special visit must be made to the Chapel of Saint Bernard in which we can find the tomb of Carlo Emanuele the First, distinguished by a frescoed vault representing the “Triumph of Saint Bernard” welcomed in heaven by the Virgin Mary. The other chapels are dedicated to St. Rocco, St. Joseph, St. Francis de Sales, St. Benedict (in the funeral Mausoleum of the Duchess Margherita of Savoy, daughter of Carlo Emanuele the First). At the center of the Church, the Canopy protects the ancient votive pillar. In the near Cistercian Monastery, we can admire the refectory with its interesting eighteenth century furniture and decorations.

Those who want to better examine the history and the devotion aspects of the Sanctuary can visit the “Hystorical Museumo Ghislieri”, which collects documents regarding the origins, the history of the building, the aspects of the Marian devotion also thanks to reproductions of ex voto and large photographic frescoes copies, together with precious historical and liturgical vestments, embroidery and linen sacristy. Here the monks library is still conserved.

We suggest you to follow a nice walk through the green hilly landscape which develops along the “Mysteries of the Rosary Path” and that connects the Sanctuary to Mondovì Piazza: here, you may visit a series of chapels (seven in total, but seven others remain unfinished) celebrating various holy events, starting from the Annunciation, the Calvary and to the Descent of the Holy Spirit.

Feasts, exhibitions and events:

– In the large square and under the surrounding porch, every 8th of September, the “Sanctuary Feast” takes place. It’s an extremely ancient exhibition which counts thousands of visitors, pilgrims and tourists each year.

Suggested highway exit:




Art and interesting facts:
The oldest signs of Ceva’s medieval past can be found in the ancient walls, in some buildings of the center, in the squared bell tower and in the Guelph tower, also known as “Brolio”, the only one remaining out of the eight original entrances of the fourteenth century (and nowadays known as the “ball court” entrance, term used to define the area in which the traditional elastic ball sport is played).  However, the entire historical center still conserves its Medieval charm thanks to its colonnades, arcades, arches, frescoes and emblems of the facades of several buildings.
But nothing instead remains of the ancient castle of the Marquis; Castle Pallavicino is a later residential construction and dated sixteenth century.
Among the religious buildings, the majestic Cathedral stands out in all its beauty. Its construction started in 1630 but ended only in the early nineteenth century; the big Bell is dated 1826; inside we can admire a nice wooden crucifix of the fifteenth century. Interesting too are the Church of the Capuchin monks, its Monastery (1582) and the Church of St. Charles with seventeenth century frescoes. A visit must be made to the Chapel of St. Rocco, in the suburb Malpotremo, which is characterized by frescoes of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.
Ceva today plays a significant commercial role thanks to its geographical position between the western Liguria and the lower Piedmont; but has also an important role in agriculture, farming and undergrowth products production: Ceva is considered the “main center of mushrooms”.

Feasts, exhibitions and events:
– Feast of St. Lucia;
– Market of antiques and collecting;
– Mushroom exhibit, organized by the cebano mycologist Group ;
– Winter season at the Marenco Theater.

Suggested highway exit: